OK LogoROYALS

Prince Charles Took Lead On Palace's Response To Meghan Markle & Prince Harry's Interview With Oprah Winfrey, Says Royal Expert

prince charles took the lead buckingham palace response prince harry meghan markle oprah winfrey interview
Source: MEGA

Mar. 21 2021, Updated 12:20 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

The Prince of Wales is said to have been the one behind Buckingham Palace’s response to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Article continues below advertisement

Prince Charles reportedly took the lead, according to royal expert Robert Jobson. 

"The queen is 94 and the Duke of Edinburgh [Prince Philip] is incapacitated, so he will be trying to placate and learn lessons from this so something can be worked out to everyone’s satisfaction," Johnson wrote for Hello! Magazine

Article continues below advertisement

"The royal family like to do things as a team, and if the team is being trashed, they like to react as a unit and a family," he explained and said the statement from the royals earlier this month was "dignified."

Article continues below advertisement

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan. The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken seriously and will be addressed by the family privately," the statement issued on March 9 read. 

Article continues below advertisement

"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members."

Harry told Oprah that he felt let down by his father, who allegedly stopped taking his calls just before he and Meghan announced that they were stepping down as senior royals. According to Harry, the couple was cut off financially and Harry had used the money left behind to him by his late mother, Princess Diana, as they relocated to California.

Article continues below advertisement

"Charles does not agree with Harry trashing his whole family in public," a source told Us Weekly, adding that the 72-year-old "thinks these matters could have easily been addressed in private."

Article continues below advertisement

"He’s been through something similar," Harry said in the interview. "He knows what pain feels like, and Archie’s his grandson," he added. 

"I will always love him, but there’s a lot of hurt that’s happened. And I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try and heal that relationship."

Article continues below advertisement

Harry also said that he feels both Charles and Prince William are "trapped" in the royal family. He and Meghan cited a “lack of support” as one of the seasons they decided to step down. There were also allegedly "conversations" and "concerns" about what color skin their son, Archie, would have when he was born.

The Queen and Prince Philip were not involved in those "conversations," and Prince William told the press that the royals are "very much not a racist family," earlier this month. 

Article continues below advertisement

Harry has since spoken to both William and Charles, as previously reported by OK!. "The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive. But they are glad that they have at least started a conversation," Gayle King spilled earlier this month. "And I think what is still upsetting to them is the palace keep saying they want to work it out privately, but yet, they believe these false stories are coming out that are very disparaging against Meghan, still."   

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. OK! is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.