OK LogoROYALS

Prince Harry Feels 'Guilty' He Never Said Goodbye To Grandfather Prince Philip, Queen 'Hopeful' For His Return To Pay Respects

Apr. 9 2021, Updated 5:26 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

The royal family is mourning the loss of Prince Philip — and Prince Harry is said to be taking it especially hard since he didn't get the chance to say goodbye to his grandfather before he died on Friday, April 9.

Article continues below advertisement

While Philip's health had been declining for months now (he recently underwent a heart procedure during his 28-day stay in the hospital), the Duke of Sussex, 36, never returned over the pond to see Philip, 99, despite having been advised to do so last month, OK! reported.

Now Prince Harry "feels guilty" that he wasn't there to "say goodbye to Prince Philip in person," a source told Us Weekly

Article continues below advertisement
microsoftteams image
Source: MEGA

However, the red-headed prince may have a chance at closure if he is able to attend his grandfather's funeral.

Article continues below advertisement

"Funeral arrangements are already being put into place,” a source said, adding that Queen Elizabeth II — who is reportedly "heartbroken" over the death of her husband after their 73 years of marriage — is hopeful Harry will join the family and pay tribute to Philip. “The queen wants Harry to be there.”

Article continues below advertisement

And the Queen isn't the only one holding out for Harry's attendance at the service. "Harry is hopeful that he’ll be able to return home to honor his grandfather, who he had a close bond with," an insider added. 

Buckingham Palace confirmed the Queen's husband died on Friday, April 9, in the couple's home, Windsor Castle. His death came two months before his 100th birthday on June 10.

Article continues below advertisement

Her Majesty, 94, alerted children Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Prince Andrew of their father's passing before telling Prince William and Harry, who were both "devastated" by the news, the source claimed.

Unfortunately, it is unclear if Harry and Meghan Markle will be able to attend Philip's funeral due to the ongoing pandemic. The U.K. government placed the country under lockdown until June, requiring people visiting from abroad to show two negative COVID-19 tests and a 10-day quarantine.

Article continues below advertisement

After news of Philip's death was made public, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex shared a statement to their Archewell website. 

Article continues below advertisement

"In loving memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh 1921-2021," the site's homepage read. "Thank you for your service... you will be greatly missed."

Philip's health took a drastic turn after he was admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital on February 16 as a "precautionary measure." He was transferred to St. Bartholomew for a heart procedure before returning to King Edward's for "rest and recuperation," Buckingham Palace announced at the time. He returned to Windsor Castle on March 16.

Advertisement
More StoriesZis8+Mejf*˺ٕ8cgM\ IH!@qO %ҖD|uC7R|ώˀeYLXo鵱r4fBnQwvYX<H3 q_a_x"?=(1e,IDΧ.E%{glZpO ey ؏5'.P,| c\qcSǬ#,brca'"Q"j+kՍqT2W?{yl~2u/3|:>2>*,tiO ?Q9J\ SԖDDswB'2{λtrEbSE<折A|Pp5NC)烐py5YtҤ0z}+a' 狸>\>q'0Ƕsetx;Q

$1ˑt&o,iY`ȾvE,vdm8wyz|ZZ"E=YPm|)2_vruc:W}ga$z2p9 &HCr!"fnаPI뼆YC {nKS)s . #[f5 @fI c, d{}]>_p5WzD}-;1I&x(! iHCe32$ŌDq3^LS >~㛥_V-6A8@fz0q}܆C3}2ϟ9bCh,+ Do GpA٘f@ʶfN)7` UJlyOj,16KI0Lf,`$X&A3 II˘,݅L`]qX#hs}Fκ3uIyR.7*NөV[ks`DHZ T{O 1~9%wm'?W?m\-NV$0.|1= GD;mF8Qt>ŐmvC.vFױݞ]84v5SJKDgj|dx GE0,eaEخ>ZoPj֫S{"- ͋o맗\5T,c1O>H ofw\`XpjSTdIEhɃEOHxXP#y\W2y\q-=OY-" Q@v+D5UI `Hd\I]hC悴}N7QT>4`S_XB8+Sz(V42hHu٪WΣmqL!'+(/DfxAPAq6h8fctfn7.n۱`t;` G̮`ic}葏BUh`XHW/h0T_͚~UqWbv%U}mV6j ֪H,ez0?qگ lOz_t֯I/}lc5HX$'&d}Ӏb$3WE;*`o|(kLxWްaK4nMqn/"pdڼ=!(o4 )`/Sv4ðaŽvKwl51׀/-hfV

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. OK! is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.