After Prince Harry’s hasty exit from the U.K. following Prince Philip’s funeral to be with his pregnant wife, Meghan Markle, and their son, Archie, reports are surfacing that talks between Harry and his family have stalled, due to the palace being afraid of leaks coming “from the Sussex side.”
A source is claiming that no “meaningful conversations” have been had to mend the fractured relationship between the royals since Harry returned to California. (Harry relocated to the U.S. with his wife and child in March 2020.)
As OK! previously reported, Harry flew into Los Angeles on an American Airlines flight on Tuesday, April 20, three days after Prince Philip’s funeral. The soon-to-be father-of-two flew home 24 hours before the Queen’s birthday and was driven back to his Montecito mansion immediately after he returned back to the States.
The Duke of Sussex was “conflicted,” said a source, about the decision to stay in the U.K. and celebrate his grandma’s birthday and spend time with his family, but ultimately decided to return home to his wife — who didn’t attend Philip's funeral, as her doctor advised her not to travel due to her pregnancy.
Queen Elizabeth II's grandson arrived in the U.K. on April 11 to quarantine at Frogmore Cottage and attended the April 17 funeral, which marked the first time Harry saw his family since stepping down from official royal duties and since the Duke and Duchess’ explosive tell-all chat with Oprah Winfrey — where they accused the monarchy of racist remarks regarding baby Archie, among other bombshell claims.
Although Harry did briefly chat with his brother, Prince William, and father, Prince Charles, after the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral, OK! previously reported that the only chat the trio had was a "clear-the-air-talk." The two only agreed to speak with Harry if there were witnesses so their private talk wouldn’t get twisted and leaked to the public, as it had in the past, according to sources.
While a brief conversation between Harry and William won't patch up the deep-rooted damage done to their relationship, a friend of the royal family said it was "a good start," OK! reported. "It was lovely to see but this whole argument runs so deep," an insider dished, adding: "I don't think there is any quick fix."
Another royal source also remained skeptical on the progress of Harry and William's relationship. "Knowing family, it can mend a bit and then can slip back a bit," they shared, with William and Buckingham Palace keeping a close eye out on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’ next move.
The Sun was the first to report that talks had stalled between the royals.