ROYAL FAMILY NEWSPrince William and Kate Middleton Blindsided by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's U.K. Return, Claims Insider: 'They Are Still Loose Cannons'

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s U.K. return has allegedly caught Prince William and Kate Middleton off guard.
Aug. 20 2026, Updated 7:37 a.m. ET
Prince William and Kate Middleton were reportedly caught off guard by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s plans to spend an extended period in the U.K.
According to sources, the Prince and Princess of Wales were not expecting the Sussexes to make such a quick return to Britain after stepping away from royal duties in 2020.
“That tells you everything,” a source told Rob Shuter’s Substack page. “If this were really about rebuilding trust with the royal family, the palace would have been given the respect of making the announcement. Instead, Harry and Meghan made the announcement themselves in America.”

Prince William and Kate Middleton were reportedly caught off guard by the couple’s reported plans to return to Britain.
Another insider offered an even more pointed assessment of the situation: “They are still loose cannons. Nobody knows what they are going to do next, and nobody at the palace wants to find out through the American media.”
Sources Question Harry and Meghan’s Motives

King Charles is reportedly aware of the move and welcomes more private time with Harry and his grandchildren.
While Harry and Meghan have reportedly framed their return around their children, family and community, some insiders believe there could be more behind the decision.
Financial troubles may have been a factor, as the couple’s plans for a fresh start in Hollywood reportedly fell flat.
“The American dream did not turn out the way they planned,” the source suggested. “The deals came, the headlines came, but the enormous financial independence they talked about never really materialized.”
“This is about money. Harry knows the family fortune is in Britain. He also knows his father is the person who can make life much easier for him," they added.
Another source added, “They are coming back because they need Britain — and they need [King] Charles.”
Harry and Meghan Prepare for Life Back in Britain

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are expected to remain private individuals and non-working members of the royal family despite their return.
- 'It’s a Huge Slap in the Face for William': Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s U.K. Return Sparks 'Serious' Monarchy Risks, Says Royal Reporter
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Will Not Return to the 'Royal Working Unit' Amid Feud
- Prince William and Kate Middleton 'to Go into Hiding' If Sussexes Bring Their 'Circus to Town' in Britain This Summer
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!
As OK! previously reported, Harry and Meghan are expected to return to the U.K. with their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, for an "extended amount of time" beginning this month, according to People.
The children are reportedly expected to start school in Britain in September. The Sussexes are also said to be looking for a private, non-royal home, although details about the property and the children’s schools are being closely guarded.
King Charles was reportedly "made aware" of Harry and Meghan’s plans on Sunday, August 16.
According to reports, the monarch "welcomes" the opportunity to spend more time with his son and grandchildren, but only in a "private and personal capacity."
The couple’s return is not expected to change their official standing within the royal family. Charles was reportedly "clear" that Harry and Meghan remain private individuals and non-working members of the monarchy.
Prince William Faces New Questions

Royal reporter Tom Sykes believes the move could create additional challenges for Prince William and the monarchy.
The reported move could nevertheless create an awkward situation for William, especially given his complicated relationship with Harry.
Royal reporter Tom Sykes believes the Sussexes’ return could bring another set of challenges for the future king.
“It’s a huge slap in the face for William, and it does also create serious risks for the monarchy,” Sykes said.
Sykes questioned how future royal events could be handled if Harry and Meghan are living in Britain while remaining non-working members of the royal family.
“What is gonna happen if Charles invites Harry to join the royal family for Christmas? What is gonna happen if Harry wants to attend the Remembrance Day celebrations?” he asked.
The reporter also argued that King Charles must have known about the couple’s plans before they became public.
Sykes said there was “no way” the monarch “did not know” about the move.
Royal Reporter Calls the Situation ‘Very Very Dangerous’
Sykes did not hold back when discussing what Harry and Meghan’s return could mean for the monarchy.
He described it as a “very very dangerous” situation and argued that Charles “allowed himself to be manipulated into welcoming them home.” Sykes also claimed that “there’s no way” the late Queen Elizabeth II would have approved of the arrangement.
Although Sykes suspected that “something was afoot” involving the Sussexes, he admitted that the scale and speed of their reported plans surprised him.
He said he “never imagined it would be anything of this magnitude or they’d be happening this quickly.”
The possibility of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex relocating to Britain by the end of August was also described by Sykes as “quite extraordinary.”


