“Most of the time people put sauerkraut on hot dogs,” supermodel Heidi Klum tells OK!. “In Germany we make sauerkraut soup that’s sweet and sour. This is my mom’s recipe, and we still make it together. It’s one of those dishes that just makes you feel cozy. I also love for my kids to have traditional German foods because it’s part of their heritage.”
Heidi shared her surprisingly easy to make family recipe so you can try it at home too!
Heidi Klum’s sauerkraut soup
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 5 large white onions, chopped fine
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. chopped tomatoes (can be from a can)
- 3 (14-16 oz.) cans sauerkraut
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 2 (6-8 oz.) cans sliced mushrooms
- 5 whole sweet gherkins, chopped rough
- 8 oz. Heinz Chili Sauce (or regular ketchup) • 1/2 pint heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté beef and onions with olive oil in a large soup pot until brown.
2. Add tomatoes, sauerkraut, mushrooms (all with their liquids) and pickles to the meat and stir.
3. Add chili sauce (or the ketchup) and broth.
4. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as heavy cream.
6. Cook for 1 more minute, then serve.
Will you try Heidi’s recipe? Tell us in the comments below or on Twitter @OKMagazine.