Murder charges in the case of Gabby Petito could be coming soon, according to one Florida attorney.
Dave Aronberg, State Attorney for Palm Beach County gave his opinion after Petito’s cause of death was revealed earlier in the week.
Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue revealed on Tuesday, October 12 that the young influencer was killed by means of strangulation — which Aronberg thinks makes murder charges “imminent.”
The attorney told WPTV, “we’re moving towards filing charges but prosecutors are in no rush to file charges, because once you file those charges, you have speedy trial rules and you have to try the case within 180 days.”
“Prosecutors are going to make sure they have enough evidence before they file charges,” he added.
Aronberg’s opinion seems to be at odds with what Chris and Roberta Laundrie’s insistence on defending their son, who is not yet a suspect in Petito’s homicide.
Brian Laundrie — the fiancé of the late 22-year-old is currently only considered a person of interest — disappeared over a month ago, after he returned home from a cross-country road trip without Petito.
- Cops Label Gabby Petito Family's $50M Lawsuit as a 'Publicity Stunt' and Vow to Fight Case
- Gabby Petito $50 Million Wrongful Death Lawsuit: Utah Police Officers Sued by Her Parents Obtain Lawyer
- Infamous Letter Brian Laundrie's Mom Sent Him Released to the Public, Note References Her Offering to Help 'Dispose' of a Body
While Brian is believed by many to have allegedly been involved in Petito’s tragic death, his parents’ lawyer released a statement earlier in the week to remind the public that their son has not been brought up on any murder charges.
Attorney Steven Bertonlino announced on Tuesday, “Gabby Petito’s death at such a young age is a tragedy. While Brian Laundrie is currently charged with the unauthorized use of a debit card belonging to Gabby, Brian is only considered a person of interest in relation to Gabby Petito’s demise.”
“At this time, Brian is still missing and when he is located we will address the fraud charge pending against him,” the lawyer continued.
The statement from the Laundries came after the medical examiner released the details of Petito’s official autopsy, which revealed that the YouTuber had most likely been dead for a few weeks before her body was found.
The coroner also confirmed that Petito was not pregnant at the time of her death, despite speculation that was circulating online.
While Blue explained that no further details could be released at the time, he did seem to insinuate that Petito was a victim of domestic violence.
"Unfortunately, this is just one of many deaths around the country of people who are involved in domestic violence. It's unfortunate that these other deaths do not get as much coverage as this one."
"I'm assuming that because the deceased was a blogger that this received more coverage than others, but there are a lot of both men and women who have lost their lives that aren't covered with this kind of media attention," he said.