NEWSNick Kyrgios Admits 'Huge Mistake' After Failed Cocaine Test Rocks Tennis Career: 'Deeply Disappointed'

Nick Kyrgios admitted a 'huge mistake' after testing positive for cocaine and said he was 'deeply disappointed' in himself.
Aug. 19 2026, Updated 1:46 p.m. ET
Nick Kyrgios took responsibility after a failed drug test led to his provisional suspension from professional tennis.
The former Wimbledon finalist spoke directly to his followers on Instagram Stories on August 19, explaining his side of the situation and acknowledging the consequences that followed.
"I wanted you to hear this from me first," Kyrgios said.
"I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake," he continued.
The Australian tennis player also addressed the young fans who looked up to him.
"Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself," he added.
Nick Kyrgios Took Responsibility for the Failed Drug Test

Nick Kyrgios addressed his failed drug test and accepted responsibility for his actions.
Kyrgios turned his attention to those closest to him as he reflected on the impact of the situation.
"I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me," he said.
Kyrgios gave a sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca on June 22. A WADA-accredited lab confirmed on July 17 that it contained benzoylecgonine, a cocaine metabolite, the ITIA revealed.
His provisional suspension began on August 4.
Tennis Career Struggles Took a Toll on Nick Kyrgios

Nick Kyrgios discussed the physical and mental toll injuries took on his tennis career.
Kyrgios, who reached a career-high world No. 13 ranking in 2016, spoke about the challenges he faced as his career entered an uncertain phase.
He said he is not "going to make excuses," while explaining that his injuries had been taking a "huge toll" on him — both "physically and mentally."
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!

Nick Kyrgios opened up about the difficulty of approaching the end of his tennis career.
Kyrgios then opened up about the disconnect he felt between his ambitions and the physical limitations holding him back.
"My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined," he said.
He also reflected on what the sport meant to him throughout his life and career.
"I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis — tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did," Kyrgios added.
Nick Kyrgios Stepped Away From Public Life

Nick Kyrgios announced a temporary step away from social media and public life.
Kyrgios said the suspension prompted him to reassess, as a "wake-up call," how he approached the next stage of his life and career. He planned to take time away from social media and public attention for the next 28 days.
"I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better," he promised.


