OK LogoROYALS

Prince Philip Undergoes Heart Procedure, Will 'Remain In Hospital For Treatment'

prince philip successful procedure pre existing heart condition hospital
Source: MEGA

Mar. 4 2021, Published 9:09 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

The Duke of Edinburgh reportedly underwent a medical procedure for a pre-existing heart condition on Wednesday, March 3, Buckingham Palace confirmed in a statement. 

"His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days," the statement read, and the procedure was "successful."

Article continues below advertisement

Prince Philip was first admitted to King Edward VII Hospital on February 16 "after feeling unwell," as "a precautionary measure”

The 99-year-old was then moved to St. Bartholomew’s hospital on Monday, March 1, to continue treatment for an infection and to undergo tests and observation for his heart condition. 

"The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week," the Palace stated at the time.

Earlier this week, the Duchess of Cornwall said that her father-in-law was "slightly improving" but his treatment hurts "at moments."

PRINCE PHILIP LOOKS DASHING IN NEW ROYAL PORTRAIT AS HE RETIRES AT 96! SEE PICS THROUGHOUT THE YEARS 

Article continues below advertisement

"We keep our fingers crossed," Camilla said. 

Last week, his youngest son, Prince Edward, said that he spoke to Philip "the other day." He added, "He's a lot better thank you very much indeed, and he's looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing." 

Prince Charles was allowed to visit his father briefly on February 20. 

Meanwhile, a source told The Royal Observer that Prince Harry was recently "being advised to fly home right now to say goodbye to his grandfather." However, the insider added, "Who knows if he will listen." 

Article continues below advertisement

Since Philip began getting medical attention last month, this has been the longest hospital stint for the Duke of Edinburgh since he was released from hospital in 2013 after 11 days when he had surgery on his abdomen.

The Duke’s heart condition is unknown, but he has reportedly had heart trouble in the past; he was rushed to the hospital in 2011 after experiencing chest pains and had a blocked coronary artery, the New York Post reported. 

THE ROYAL SCANDALS OF 2020: FROM MEGXIT TO 'THE CROWN' DRAMA & MORE  

Prince Philp’s infection is not believed to be related to COVID-19, as both he and Queen Elizabeth II had their COVID-19 jabs already due to their ages. 

The Queen is "leaning on her loved ones for support" during this time, a source told Us Weekly, as the palace prepares for Harry and Meghan's tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey airing this weekend.

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. OK! is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.