Tanya Roberts Died From A Urinary Tract Infection, Her Rep Reveals

tanya roberts cause of death
Source: MEGA

Jan. 5 2021, Published 5:23 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to FlipboardShare to Email

After Tanya Roberts was mistakenly pronounced dead on Sunday, January 3, the actress actually passed away on January 4 from a urinary tract infection, her rep, Mike Pingel, revealed. 

“With a heavy heart I can confirm the death of Tanya Roberts last night on January 4, 2021 around 9:30 p.m. PT at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Calif.,” Pingel said in a statement. 

Article continues below advertisement

The urinary tract infection spread “to her kidney, gallbladder, liver and then blood stream,” he noted. 

"Roberts was an animal rights activist; in lieu of flowers, they are asking for donations to be given in Roberts name to the ASPCA,," Pingel said. "An online memorial for Tanya Roberts will be announced shortly. The family asks for privacy as they mourn her death."


Just one day earlier, her partner, Lance O’Brien, was delivered the good news that the Hollywood star was doing OK and was still in the hospital. 

“Now you’re telling me that she is alive?” O’Brien said on the call while he was in the middle of an interview. “Oh, thank the Lord! Thank God!” 

“The hospital just told me she is alive,” O’Brien revealed while crying. “They are calling me from the ICU team. I am so happy.” 

Celebrity Death
Article continues below advertisement

As OK! previously reported, the TV star suddenly collapsed on Christmas Eve while walking her two dogs. Roberts was admitted to the hospital, but O’Brien was not allowed inside due to COVID-19 restrictions. 

Roberts did not have COVID-19 but was put on a ventilator because she was having trouble breathing. 

Article continues below advertisement

“When she saw me and I was there, I saw her eyes open up. I felt good. I said, ‘Hey, her eyes are opening. Her eyes are opening.’ They told me that's just a reflex,” O’Brien said about visiting her.

Ultimately, the hospital staff was not hopeful about Roberts pulling through. 


“She passed last night, the doctor called me around 9:30 p.m.,” O’Brien said on January 5. “I’ll call them this morning and see what’s next.” 

O'Brien also said that Roberts' health scare began on December 23, but he thought it was a blood sugar issue that would go away. 


Want OK! each day? Sign up here!

More From OK! Magazine

    Opt-out of personalized ads

    © Copyright 2024 OK!™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. OK! is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.