Travis Scott’s offer to foot the bill for funeral expenses following the Astroworld tragedy has been denied by one of the victim's family.
9-year-old Ezra Blount was the tenth and youngest victim to lose their life as a result of the disastrous crowd surge that took place at the Astroworld festival earlier this month.
In the days following the concert, Blount was in a medically induced coma after getting trampled during the deadly stampede. He succumbed to his injuries on Sunday, November 14.
The “SICKO MODE” artist tried to remedy the situation by offering to pay for funeral expenses for the victims. He also partnered with the mental health organization BetterHelp with the intention of providing therapy to anyone who was traumatized by the deadly event.
However, the Blount family is reportedly rejecting Scott’s offer to pay for funeral expenses in the hopes that the rapper will be forced to face responsibility for his role in the tragedy.
“Your client’s offer is declined,” the Blount family’s attorney Bob Hillard told Scott’s lawyer Daniel Petrocelli, according to Rolling Stone. “I have no doubt Mr. Scott feels remorse. His journey ahead will be painful.”
- Travis Scott Files Request To Get Astroworld Case Dismissed After Rapper Is Hit With Hundreds Of Lawsuits Following Deadly Concert
- Travis Scott Fans Start A Petition For Rapper To Perform At Coachella 2023 Despite Being Dropped From This Year's Event Following Disastrous Astroworld Festival
- Attorney For Astroworld Victim's Family Says Travis Scott's Interview 'Didn't Heal Them'
“He must face and hopefully see that he bears some of the responsibility for this tragedy,” the letter read.
Scott, 30, has already been slammed with multiple lawsuits claiming that he should be held accountable for the chaos that occurred while he was performing on stage.
As OK! previously reported, an attorney representing over 200 of the victims who attended the Houston concert filed a $2 billion lawsuit against Scott, Live Nation, NRG Stadium, other producers, and Drake, who also performed at the event.
Scott has already been named in several other filings, including a $750 million suit alleging that the deaths at the concert came as a result of “gross negligence.” The Texas native is also being sued by two of the event’s security guards, who are insisting that they sustained “mental and physical injuries” while working the festival.
The lawsuits against the music mogul are still rising, although Scott previously claimed that he did not understand the severity of the situation at the time. His girlfriend Kylie Jenner — who was in attendance for the concert with the pair’s daughter Stormi — claimed after the event that Scott was unaware of any fatalities until after the show.
It is still unclear whether or not the “OUT WEST” rapper will be held accountable for the devastating events. However, Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña previously claimed that the musical artist “absolutely” should have done more to stop the concert once it became clear that concertgoers were struggling in the audience.