After Bachelor Nation’s Colton Underwood shocked the world by coming out as gay earlier this month, he took to Instagram to show off his ripped abs after taking time to work on himself (inside and out).
“This year I prioritized my health,” the former Bachelor wrote via Instagram on Wednesday, April 28, alongside a pair of snaps showcasing his fit physique. “Physically and mentally,” he continued.
Underwood spoke about his mental health struggles during his intimate chat with Robin Roberts on GMA. During the explosive tell-all, he told Roberts that he feels “proud” of who he is after a difficult journey coming to terms with being gay — even revealing he had “suicidal thoughts” due to the internal conflict he was going through.
The former athlete said that he was motivated to come out after getting “into a place with [his] personal life that was dark and bad.” He said on April 14: “I think overall the reason why now is because I got to a place where I didn’t think I was ever going to share this. I would have rather died than say, ‘I’m gay.'”
Underwood is busy as of late. OK! learned the blonde hottie is set to star in a multi-episode series for Netflix that will focus on him “living his life publicly as a gay man” and will feature out Olympian Gus Kenworthy as his LGBTQ+ mentor.
After the announcement of his new series, fans flooded social media slamming the streaming giant for giving Underwood a platform following the shocking harassment allegations lodged against him by his ex, Cassie Randolph.
A Change.org petition was created calling for Netflix to cancel the series — which currently has over 34,000 signatures. “Colton is a former Bachelor lead who stalked his final pick, Cassie Randolph,” the petition read. “He placed a tracker on her car, sent her and her friends anonymous threatening texts, and was even seen standing outside her window extremely late in the night, resulting in her brother attempting to de-escalate the situation.”
The petition description continued: “Cassie is a victim of Colton’s abuse, and he does not deserve a platform in any way. Regardless of his sexuality, Colton should not be given a platform as a result of his abusive, manipulative, and dangerous behavior.”
The former NFL player famously jumped over a fence to pursue Randolph during his turn as the lead on The Bachelor in 2019 and cut the season short to date her after she voluntarily exited the show. However, their romance was short-lived; they called it quits in May 2020.
Things took a dark turn after their split, when Randolph was granted a restraining order against her former flame in September of last year due to alleged harassment and stalking. Underwood denied the claims, and Randolph ultimately dropped the charges in November.
During his bombshell chat with Roberts, Underwood apologized to Randolph for his behavior and how he treated her. “I got into a place with my personal life that was dark and bad, and I can list a bunch of different things, but they’d all be excuses,” he said of their controversial split. “I’d like to say sorry for how things ended. I messed up. I made a lot of bad choices.”
Following his coming out, OK! reported that Randolph was blindsided by the news of Underwood’s revelation, and she broke her silence during a YouTube tour of her home on Thursday, April 22, saying she was ready “move forward” with her life.