MMA fighter Conor McGregor is reportedly being sued in a civil lawsuit after an investigation into the sexual assault allegations against the fighter didn't result in criminal charges. The alleged victim from Ireland filed the lawsuit against McGregor and another unnamed man on Monday, January 18.
The New York Times obtained the statement of claim and shared the document for the first time on Tuesday, January 19. The statement detailed the alleged incident that took place on December 9, 2018, at a hotel in Dublin, Ireland.
According to the outlet's report, the woman is seeking between $1.79 million to $2.13 million for the her loss of wages, the sale and purchase of her former and new home, and medical expenses. The woman has reportedly not worked since May 2019 due to psychological and emotional issues from the alleged assault.
In the statement of claim obtained by the Times, the woman said she and a friend, as well as one of the fighter's friends, were picked up by McGregor's driver after she and the UFC athlete exchanged "flirtatious" Instagram DMs. She and McGregor reportedly knew of each other growing up and "previously socialized in the same wider circles."
On the way to the hotel, the alleged victim said she did cocaine that was "produced" in the car.
Once she got to the hotel, the unnamed woman claimed McGregor "beckoned" her into a hotel room and asked her to do a number of sexual acts, which she refused to do. McGregor continued to allegedly kiss and undress her, even though she was protesting his advances, according to the report.
She claimed she stopped fighting the Irish pro after he allegedly picked her up by the neck three times. According to the statement of claim, McGregor then raped the woman.
She claimed that when she woke up the next morning, McGregor's friend gave her a drink, and she lost her memory after that. The only thing she reportedly remembered was being in a taxi on the way home. Police later told the woman that McGregor's friend said he had sex with her.
Her mother called the police when she arrived home, and she was given a sexual assault exam at the hospital. The exam concluded that she had bruises and abrasions all over her body, according to the Times.
The rape allegations were reported to the police one month after the incident. The woman's lawsuit was filed after the Irish police and prosecutors conducted an investigation, during which McGregor was arrested and questioned. The police ultimately decided to not pursue criminal charges against the 32-year-old.
Irish authorities don't reveal the names of people who are the focus of an investigation until after it's concluded; therefore, McGregor's name was never mentioned in association to the sexual assault allegations until the NYT did so in March 2019.
The news of McGregor's alleged attack made headlines one day after he announced his retirement.