The 45th president was banned from Facebook — and most every other social media site — following the deadly riots that rocked D.C. on January 6, leaving five dead, many injured and a country on the brink of revolt.
“Given the seriousness of the violations and the ongoing risk of violence, Facebook was justified in suspending Mr. Trump’s accounts on January 6 and extending that suspension on January 7,” the board said in its decision.
The quasi-independent oversight board added that Trump “created an environment where a serious risk of violence was possible” by echoing his false claims that the 2020 election — where he was heavily defeated by President Joe Biden — was rigged against him.
Although the board did uphold the decision to continue to ban the former president, it did criticize Facebook for having made the suspension indefinite. "In applying a vague, standardless penalty and then referring this case to the Board to resolve, Facebook seeks to avoid its responsibilities," the decision said, adding that the social media platform must reassess the ban down the road.
"Within six months of this decision, Facebook must reexamine the arbitrary penalty it imposed on January 7 and decide the appropriate penalty," the board wrote in its decision, adding that the social media giant needs to be clear and transparent when it comes to its rules regarding such actions moving forward.
- Donald Trump's Apparent Return To Social Media Stymied… Again! Twitter Suspends Account Associated To His Newly Launched Communication Site
- Donald Trump 'Remains Indefinitely Suspended' From Facebook Despite Rumors His Ban Had Been Lifted
- Donald Trump Banned From Facebook For Two Years Until Company Can Reassess His 'Risk To Public Safety'
Facebook’s VP of communications, Nick Clegg, praised the board's decision in a blog post, writing, "As we stated in January, we believe our decision was necessary and right, and we're pleased the board has recognized that the unprecedented circumstances justified the exceptional measure we took."
He addressed the board's criticism head-on, adding that the company “will now consider the board's decision and determine an action that is clear and proportionate,” referring to reconvening in the coming months to determine if a permanent ban is necessary. “In the meantime, Mr. Trump's accounts remain suspended."
Donald must have foreseen the decision, as OK! learned that just one day prior, Donald launched his own personal communications site on Tuesday, May 4 — where he can directly communicate with his followers.
The new platform, "From the Desk of Donald J. Trump," appears on www.DonaldJTrump.com/desk. A form of communication from Donald to his legion of fans will be necessary in the coming months if he follows through on his continued vague claims that he is “seriously” considering another run for the White House in 2024.