Despite worldwide speculation that Meghan Markle orchestrated "Megxit," the Duchess of Sussex made it crystal clear on Sunday, March 7, that the move was not "calculated" and that there were no plans to remove herself and Prince Harry from the royal family.
"Can you imagine how little sense that makes? I left my career, my life, I left everything because I loved him," the 39-year-old Suits actress told Oprah Winfrey during their bombshell interview.
"Our plan was to do this forever, our plan for me — I wrote letters to his family, [telling them,] 'I am dedicated to this. I am here for you.'"
However, upon moving to England, Meghan said she had no one to help her to adapt to royal life and had to learn everything by herself (including how to curtsey).
"There was no guidance as well. There were certain things that you couldn’t do — there is no class on how to speak, how to cross your legs, how to be royal. That might exist for others, but that was not something that was offered to me," Meghan explained.
"Even down to the National Anthem, no one thought to say, 'You’re American.' That’s me, late at night googling ... I need to learn these 30 hymns for church. We were doing the training behind the scenes because I wanted to make them proud."
As for Harry, the red-headed prince said that he "wouldn't have been able to" step back as a senior member of the royal family if not for his wife.
"There was a bigger purpose, other forces at play I think throughout this whole process. I am the last person to think ... but it’s undeniable, so yeah she — without question, she saved me," Harry said.
"I think he saved all of us," Meghan praised her husband. "He called it and was like, 'We’ve got to find a way for us, for Archie,' and you made a decision that certainly saved my life and saved all of us but you need to want to be saved."
During the bombshell tell-all, Meghan also admitted that she felt suicidal before they stepped back from royal duties but did not get help despite the "very clear and real and frightening constant thought."
"We intend to step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen," the pair announced in January 2020.
They have since relocated to California with Archie, and after they confirmed that they would not return as working royals last month, their royal patronages were returned to the Queen.
"Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service," Buckingham Palace noted in a statement.
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organizations they have represented regardless of official role," a spokesperson for Meghan and Harry said at the time.